Sunday, April 13, 2014

Thing 13: Classroom Tools

Remind 101


Remind 101 would be very helpful to communicate. With everyone texting, a parent probably would find this method of communication very convenient. Also, scheduling when messages should be sent takes stress off the teacher. The messages for a week or month can all be entered and scheduled so nothing is forgotten. The app is also a way to keep a record of parent communication since it saves your messages.

Class Dojo



I tried using Class Dojo last year. It is an easy way to record data on students. I wasn't sending reports to parents. I was using the information to help group students and create seating charts. I did not use it this year because I had a hard time marking students during small group work. I use a seating chat to call students by name since I have so many. It was difficult to record everything since students often do activities out of their seats. If I had a smaller number of students or my own classroom, I would definitely use this app.

Teacher Tools

Group Maker would be a useful app because you can create more than one class which is a feature I need. I try to use small group and center activities often and this will make grouping easier since it uses information you put in about students. I can stop worrying about losing my lists of groups for each class since they can be stored here instead.

Having Power Teacher on my iPad has been helpful because I always have access to a class list. Because I move schools, I often need new class lists every month because students move between my visits. By using this app, I am always looking at an up to date list. The app also includes the student's photo next to the name which is helpful since I don't have all names memorized.

The only negative aspect of this app is it's difficult to insert grades. I think it is much easier to use the computer for entering grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment