Sunday, March 9, 2014

Thing 2: Connecting and Communicating with Video Calls



Video calls are an amazing tool in the foreign language classroom at all levels. They give students an opportunity to communicate with people in other countries to experience the language and culture. I see many posts about this on Twitter. Some classes have been Skyping to hear stories from different cultures since it is reading month. Other classes meet to ask questions about the cultural theme they are covering. For example, I saw one teacher post that the students chatted about their favorite foods and how the foods were different in the different countries. Recently, I saw a video on YouTube about a high school Spanish class Skyping with a bilingual preschool. The high schoolers were able to practice their Spanish while the preschoolers practiced their English. I have not had the opportunity to use Skype or Google Hangouts in my classroom yet, but I hope to in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment